EVENTS, PROGRAMS, & WORKSHOPS
Unless otherwise noted the following events and workshops take place at The TAUNY Center and are free of charge. To receive our monthly event and workshop email, join our mailing list.
Saturday, January 26
1:00-3:00 pmMassena Public Library/Celine G. Philibert Memorial Cultural Centre & Museum
TAUNY Knits Sweater Competition
Entries due by
Wednesday, February 6
Entries on display at The TAUNY Center
Knitters! Have you made an adult or child-sized sweater or sweaters in the past 5 years that you’d like to show off? Enter them in the 2019 TAUNY Knits Sweater Competition! You can also cast on a special project today to enter!
Sweaters will be displayed at The TAUNY Center during Canton’s Winterfest and must be delivered to The TAUNY Center by February 6. Judging will take place February 7. All entries will be on display at The TAUNY Center February 9-23, 2019.
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
Best in Show - $100 cash prize
1st Gift Basket from Adirondack Fragrance Farm, $75 value
2nd Skein of handspun yarn from Kimberly Handspun Handwoven, $50 value
3rd $25 value prize
1st Massage from Bliss Massage, $75 value
2nd $50 value prize
3rd $25 value prize
Judges will consider the following:
- Overall appeal of the sweater
- Appeal of pattern and design choice
- Appropriateness and quality of yarn used for the project
- Excellence of execution of techniques used in the sweater, including any modifications made to the pattern by the knitter, and details of final construction and finishing.
- Functionality of the finished item.
- Each entrant may submit up to 5 garments to the competition. There is no charge to enter.
- Sweaters may be made from the knitter’s original designs, or from published patterns.
- Entries may be sweaters for any season of the year, or any purpose. (Everyday wear or special occasion sweaters, for example.)
- Entries may be mailed to The TAUNY Center, 53 Main St., Canton, NY 13617. Entrants will be responsible for return postage.
- Entries must be received by 4 p.m. on February 6 and must remain on display at The TAUNY Center until close of business on February 23.
- Entrants do not have to live in Northern New York to enter.
TAUNY’s mission is to present the folk culture and living traditions of New York State’s North Country. We encourage entries based on folk or traditional patterns.
Pictured: Hand-spun, hand-dyed yarn by Kimberly Handspun Handwoven, for sale at The North Country Folkstore.
TAUNY Knits Knit-in
Saturday, February 9
We invite knitters to join us Saturday, February 9, 1-3, for a knit-in! You do not have to enter a sweater in the competition to join the knit-in. Light refreshments will be served. Come be inspired by other knitters’ current projects and share yours with everyone.
Saturday, February 16
$35/$30 (TAUNY Friends)
At this program, participants will enjoy the tastes of British tea customs with London-born home cook Fran Moore and her family. Fran will discuss the intricacies of the British afternoon and evening meals as her mother taught her and she has passed on to her daughters. Fran and family will prepare a variety of traditional teatime treats like savory sandwiches, scones with jam and clotted cream, and cakes, tarts and biscuits – and of course tea.
Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Register at by calling 315-386-4289. (Online registration coming soon!)
First Friday Jam
Please note that our monthly jams are currently on hiatus. Stay tuned--and tuned up!--for other musical opportunities coming up.
Note: All images, text and other material found in this website © 2019 TAUNY. All rights reserved.