Congregation Beth El was established in 1955 in Potsdam upon acquisition of its current building which had originally been a Grange Hall and later a Boys’ Club. The founders of Congregation Beth El came to Potsdam as businessmen, professors, doctors and other professionals. Some of them were originally members of other nearby congregations (Massena’s Adath Israel and Ogdensburg’s Anshe Zophen), but as the Jewish population of Potsdam increased, Congregation Beth El was established.
Beth El’s 36th annual Food Festival was held on Sunday, December 7th, 2014. Breads and pastries from a kosher Montreal Bakery were sold. Beth El members prepared blintzes, latkes, falafel, soups, hummus, and lots more to eat in or take out. Judaica items were for sale in the gift shop, including jewelry, books, decorations, and holiday accessories.
Nominated by Varick Chittenden and Jill Breit